Monday, October 23, 2006

I am a friend of...

There is one song out there that I am having a really hard time with.
The choir sang it in church Sunday morning.
I'm glad my glasses are so screwy that I can't see to drive at nights so I have had to miss choir the past month, because I would not have sung the song... and I would have let loose a pet peeve that they don't need to hear.



Friend Of God - Phillips, Craig and Dean
Genre/Lang. : Christian
Who am I that You are mindful of me?
That you hear me When I call
Is it true that You are thinking of me?
How You love me
It's amazing (Repeat)

~Chorus~
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend

God Almighty,
Lord of Glory
You have called me friend

(Repeat Chorus)

He calls me friend
He calls me friend...

Most people are rip roaring crazy about this song. They just eat it up. Maybe I'm a nut, but I always feel that it glorifies me more than God. I, I, I.... I am a friend of God... sing "I'm amazing" instead of "It's amazing" and that is the feeling I get every time I hear it.
Personally, I don't think I'm the greatest friend God has and I'm not going to sing about it... I don't spend enough time with Him and I'd rather dwell on what He has done for me and is doing in, around and through me. I'm in awe of who God is. He isn't my buddy, He is my Lord, Saviour, Redeemer and Perfecter of my faith.
I am not His buddy, I am His servant, a warrior and forever in His debt because He paid mine. I am made His joint heir.... which I do not deserve. What a wonderful, awesome, amazing privalege to have to God of all creation be my Father, protector, provider, sustainer.... there is nothing about me that He should desire to love me, yet He does. It is a most lopsided arrangement. All I have for Him is my sinful self, which is all He wants. He is everything to me.
There is one part of the song I do like,

Who am I that you are mindful of me?

I am not His friend. I am His child.

2 comments:

Seven said...

I am SO TOTALLY with you on this one. : )

Seven said...

By the way, I haven't heard that song yet. Our church is somewhat 'behind the times' when it comes to music and I must admist I like it that way!