Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Has this always been here??

I've discovered, if I journal a thought somewhere... on paper or here... I won't fall asleep right after my Bible readings. I'm a little surprised by this mornings Psalm. If I had read it last week THE RANT would not be on a previous post.

Psalm 4 (New King James Version)

To the Chief Musician.
With stringed instruments.
A Psalm of David.

1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
2 How long, O you sons of men,
Will you turn my glory to shame?
How long will you love worthlessness
And seek falsehood? Selah
3 But know that the LORD has set apart[a] for Himself him who is godly;
The LORD will hear when I call to Him.
4 Be angry, and do not sin.
Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah
5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And put your trust in the LORD.
6 There are many who say,
“Who will show us any good?”
LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.
7 You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.


I remember all the "How long Lord.." Psalms, but this perspective was different.
"How long, o you sons of men, will you turn my glory to shame? How long will you love worthlessness and seek falsehood??"
I have a problem. I seem to love worthlessness... worthless arguements, worthless stuff, worthless ideals... I keep bitterness and resentment like it was some kind of treasure in my heart. How long??? Thankfully the Lord is longsuffering towards me, otherwise I'd have been snuffed out loooonnngg ago.
"There are many who say Who will show us any good?" Remember THE RANT? I should not be looking for others to show God's goodness. It would be nice if they did, but I should be looking to God for that. "Lord, lift up the light of your countenance upon us. YOU have put gladness in our hearts."
Boy did that smack me today. If I am looking for others to take the place of God in my life I will always be seriously disappointed. I need to look for God to be God... God to be God... I'm starting to get it... God to be God... Lord lift up the light of your coutenance upon me. You have put gladness in my heart. No one at church, or the neighborhood, or in my family can put gladness in my heart... only you can.
That is really too cool, and lets a whole lot of people off the hook.
How long will I love worthlessness?
Only God should be where I look for good.
The Lord will hear me when I call.
He will relieve me in my distress.
I can trust Him.
I can rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha.
I love your blog and as longgggggg as I have known you,your hearts desire is to serve the Lord.You have always been passionate about his word too...It saddens me to see people in church not checking their Bibles themselves...To see if passages are in context with what is being said etc....In Bible Colledge a professor said, it wasn't what he said or what anyone else said,it was what the Bible says... that has helped a great deal ...This is a test run form S.A. have a super day!Love some Chocolate Bannana muffins.YUM !YUM ! Love.The Third World Family!!!