Friday, January 22, 2010

Its all a matter of perspective

The other day I was driving down the road and glanced at my speedometer. I thought I was going quite quickly on an 80 km/hr road, but the meter said 57. Its a digital speedometer so I can always know EXACTLY how fast I'm going. 57?? Somehow I could not get that car to go faster without feeling like I'm going too fast... you know??

I must be getting old... hope no one is driving behind me that I know. How can 57 seem too fast?

I slowed down to 50 because that felt MUCH safer. Maybe I was getting sick. Against my better judgement I just drove in the way I felt safe without trying to keep up to the speed limit.

Then it hit me... I hit the km/m button on the dashboard. Immediately I went from 53 to almost 90. Can you imagine if I insisted on keeping up with the "speed limit" in spite of my better judgement? I would have been going crazy fast and most likely ended up with a ticket or a crash.

Sometimes I feel the need to keep up with the speed of other families around me... not just the regular families with 2 jobs and public school.. but the other homeschooler families as well. I know in my spirit what the Lord expects of me, but think I need to keep up with "everyone else." What I don't see is that I am going at the right speed. I am not slower than "anyone else" ... I'm just not judging my life by the right criteria. Instead of looking at my life through God's standard.. I look through the standards of others. How ridiculous of me!

I just need to push the button, adjust the speed of my life in Christ and move on. All of a sudden I feel comfortable with the speed limits again. Life is good.

No comments: