Saturday, February 03, 2007

BRF(S) 2 Timothy

If I were at the end of my life and writing a letter to my child, what would I write??
You can be sure I wouldn't be wasting time on frivolous things. It would be important, very important. There would be a few big issues and many small things. I would be trying to convey what I have learned in my life experience to someone who would no longer have the benefit of being able to ask me anything.
I think I would also try to let more of me show through. I would want my child to "hear" my voice as they read through the letter. I'd instill a little humour....
Just like Paul did.
This week, I thought I'd have this book memorized. I figured with a whole week with no chores or cooking to do I'd read the book at least 10 times a day. not.
I've actually had a real struggle with some bitterness that had nothing to do with the fact Justin was so sick. That was left securely in God's hands and I had a real peace about it, even when Justin was barely breathing and not responding to medications like he should. I became more and more bitter as I sat in one room, with the occasional excursion to the cafeteria or bathroom, and didn't hear from my church family, at all. They knew I was in there, right from the very start BUT no one called, visited, sent a card, offered to help with the kids or sent a meal. As the week went on my attitude about this became more and more stinky. I was ticked.
Now I was finally ready to hear Paul.
He is confined to house arrest. He has no telephone. His friends are all disappearing, some even leaving the faith. He is older, tired, has endured unimaginable beatings in his life with no physiotherapy... I'm sure he's in pain... and yet, what is missing? There is no bitterness. He is not taking anything personally. He names some of these people and uses them as examples to encourage Timothy to stand firm and hold fast. He uses himself as an example of how to endure... and why.
I love the way he says in ch 1 vs 3 that he has served God with a pure conscience. He is able to use himself all throughout this letter as an example of how to serve the Lord. Could I do that at the end of my life? I'm thinking not. I can use many examples in my life of what not to do.
In chapter 3 Paul says this... vs 10 and11 "But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra -- what persections I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me."
Ok... I feel like a flop. Yes, we have had a hard time at our church lately. With slandering, rudeness, snide remarks and worse. We are innocent of these accusations, yet to most it doesn't matter. Paul had much worse happen to him. No one at our church has had us arrested, stoned, flogged or run out of town!! (Though I have a feeling a few would like to!!) This has nothing to do with us really, it is their sin that is being allowed to run wild.
It is not my responsibility to stop the trial, it is my responsibility to respond in love, period. I don't want to. I want to be bitter, run away and tell a few people off. Is that enduring hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ? I can't let the fact that I had a bad week affect my attitude toward the people that Christ died for and loves with an everlasting love.
How's this for a rebuke?? ch 2 vs 24-26 "And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will."
My feelings are not to be the motivation behind how I act. I need to be gentle and able to correct in humility so they may know the truth and be freed from the captivity of the devil. There is no room in the Christian life for bitterness. It keeps others (and myself) grip of the devil.
I would like to fulfill my ministry. To be able to say at the end that I have fought the good fight, finished the race and kept the faith. I dare say I have a long way to go!
I love the part, right after he explains that he has finished... is being poured out like a drink offering etc., where he asks Timothy to "be diligent to come to me quickly" and later "Do your utmost to come before winter." Hello, I'm gonna die soon, come soon or don't bother... and bring me a coat while you're at it... before it gets cold.
This is getting too long.
I would hate to have been one of the guys Paul named as an example of what not to be. All we know about them is that they fell short of the mark.
It would be wonderful to be named as someone who has been an encouragement to Paul. We don't know much about them either. Some we have heard of before, some not. I'm wondering who Claudia is. Of the last of Paul's letters, she is the last person named. What an honor.
Who would name their kids Pudens?? Want some puddin' Pudens?
Hopefully I won't be so longwinded next time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel bad that I didn't know all that you've been dealing with. Then again, I really don't even know who you are or anything. I'm just glad you are in on the BRF with us. Hope Justin is doing better.

Luke Coughey said...

I didn't know about what was going on until you posted your return home...not that I am in any position to do much to help. But, I could have prayed.

Luke Coughey said...

I didn't know about what was going on until you posted your return home...not that I am in any position to do much to help. But, I could have prayed.

Kim said...

Hi Martha, I just found you through BRF (thanks again, Shannon!) I hope Justin is doing better. When my second son was 10 days old, he was hospitalized with RSV and pnemonia. Scary, scary stuff. We were told that if we had gotten to the hospital about 10 minutes later, it would have been too late. What a wonderful God we have!

I enjoyed your review--love reading what everyone else gets out it!