Saturday, February 24, 2007

Book Review -- Psalm 119

This was a little different than the last few books. The theme of the book was pretty consistent with subtle variations in each stanza.
This is the story of how loving God's word and obeying it changes a sinful man into a confident, strong and wise man of God.
It made me realize (as I do every time I read this, one of my fave chapters) how little I really love God's word. Do I pant after it?? Faint in my bones for it??? Seep myself in it morning, noon, and in the middle of the night? Is it the first thing I reach for in the morning? The last thought of my mind before I sleep?? Basically, is this my addiction? My strength? My everything? Nope.
I like God's word. Enjoy it. Need it. Know it's the basis for my belief, my salvation. But do I love it? Do I want to be with it more... even as much as... my husband, kids, housework, IKEA catalog, my blog, etc??
Why is my life not victorious like King Davids??? I don't LOVE God's word.
My love for God is love for a father.
For Christ, He is my everything.
This is His love letter to me.
What will happen in my life WHEN (not if) I love this book the way King David did??

Here are some promises..

I'll be blameless v1&2 "Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the
law of the Lord. Blessed are they who keep his statutes, and seek Him
with all their heart."
Not part of their heart. Not half heartedly, whole heartedly. Not because I have to
seek Him, because it is my hearts desire.
I'll not be put to shame v5&6 "Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying you decrees! Then
I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands."
When I consider God's word and where my life should be, I am put to shame. I'm not
blameless.
I'll be pure vs 9 "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word."
Here is hope. I can keep my way pure. I can choose to be proactive today. I can be
more faithful in reading, faithful in prayer. Past mistakes do not need to mold my
future.
I can keep from sinning vs 11 "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might no sin against
you."
I need to memorize God's word. This is something I used to do a lot of, but not so
much anymore. Even if I'm learning the AWANA verses with my kids, that's some-
thing. That will help to keep me from sinning. Wow!
There will be strength in my sorrow vs 12 "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me
according to your word."
There have been many times when this has proved to be true. In the times of my
deepest sorrow, God has been my strength; so much so that its almost difficult to
readjust to my regular world where that extra strength is not needed. I love the
'according to your word' parts. David knows what is in God's word and is claiming
promises he knows are his. When my soul is weary, God will strengthen me. I need
to know God's word, so I can claim these promises.
I can choose vs 30 "I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws."
This is the one thing I can do that really can please God. I can choose the way of truth.
This is following Christ who is the truth. I can read his precepts, accept them as truth
and be obedient.
He sets my heart free vs32 "I run in the paths of your commands, for you have set my heart
free."
I love this one. When I run, not hesitate, in way God commands He sets my heart free!
Not just my spirit, my heart!! I can live in freedom without feeling like I am missing
out, not with depression or in bondage to sin... truely free!! I need to know His word to
be able to obey and then I'm FREE!!
Freedom again vs 45 "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts."
I will have comfort vs 52 "I remember your ancient laws, O Lord, and I find comfort in them."
I can find delight even when I am slandered against vs 69-71 "Though the arrogant have
smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Their
hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. It was good
for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."
I've been in the position of being slandered before... a few times... smeared with lies is
just the right way to say it. Those sticky lies that no matter how hard you try to wash
off, just seem to spread and spread. If I focus on those lies I AM MISERABLE. This
is experience talking. I have been quite miserable for the last couple months because
of this very thing. It has taken my focus off the word, even as I am reading the Bible
my focus has wandered to "Why are they doing this to me?" If I am delighting in
God's word the slander won't be important. I want to say it is good for me to be
afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
I will find comraderie with God's people. vs 74 May those who fear you rejoice when they see
me, for I have put my hope in your word."
I want to rejoice when I see others who put their hope in God's word too. So many
christians put most of their hope in themselves, my hearts desire is to know more of
those who truely trust the Lord... as theirs is to find like minded folks as well.
I will be able to fully trust who God is vs 89&90 "Your word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm
in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations."
God is still the same faithful God that He was in King David's day. His word is eternal.
It reminds me of the commercial for Peanuts videos "Their for me, for me, for me."
Through all generations means mine too!! Eternal encompasses THIS time.
I will be preserved in this life. vs 93 "I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have
preserved my life."
I counted. This little phrase "preserved my life" (once sustained my life) is mentioned
12 times in this chapter. I've heard that if its mentioned 7 or 12 times, take notice. Its
really important. I need to remember that my life is absolutely preserved when I am
living in obedience to God's word until God in His perfect timing takes me home.
There is nothing on earth that can change that... note Job for instance. I can live in
freedom and not in fear, because God is preserving my life. There was a well loved
preacher here in these parts who served the Lord with all his heart, until he started
living a life of sexual sin. He thought he was "above the law" and stayed in his pulpit
even though other men of God warned him not to trifle with God. He refused to either
change his lifestyle or leave the pulpit. The result? A "freak" accident that killed him
instantly. This is serious stuff folks.
I will have wisdom and understanding vs 98&100 "Your commands make me wiser than my
enemies.... I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your
precepts."
God will direct my life vs 105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
I will have a refuge vs 114 "You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your
word."
I will gain understanding vs 130 "The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding
to the simple."

This is confidence vs 140 "Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them." With the practice of reading, testing and proving God's word comes the confidence that this really is God speaking through the written word. This isn't just a book, or just a special book, this is the actual word of the Holy Almighty God written to me. To give my life direction, to give me hope and a promise of a future. I need to eat it up. To crave it, long for it with all my being. Not to read as a duty because its the right thing to do. To join with David as he rises before dawn and through the watches of the night to meditate on God's promises.
To close (yes its finally over) I want this to be my heart song vs 171 "May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees."
I want the overflow. I want God's praises to spill out all over my life as I get closer to God as He teaches me. I want my family first to see a difference. I want God to look so good to others they are asking me if I know Him and how they can too.
First I need to learn to love His word.
Thankfully the Lord can teach me how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to LOVE it and have the overflow too! Good review. :)