Saturday, July 29, 2006

What a gift!

"Can you fix my shirt, Mom? Y'know, like you did Molly's. I want to wear it to chruch tomorrow?", sweetly asks my 12 year old. I can fix spaghetti straps. As long as no one looks too closely, it looks fine. Caitlyn dutifully puts her shirt on inside out so I can tack it up... but the straps are fine. She wants me to put darts in her shirt!!! And fully believes I have the, ahem, talent to do the job. Just the fact that I know what a dart is impresses me. "You can sew it with me in it, right?"
"Caitlyn, honey, you know I can't sew."
"Yes, you can. Just put some pins in and sew it up. You want to use your machine? Can I stay up and watch? I love to see you sew." (Like she sees THAT a lot!!)
"I'll just use the longest stitch to make sure it fits and then tidy it up later.." (and its easier to rip things out like that too... lots of ripping out experience here which is why I DON'T SEW!!)
"I'm so glad I have a Mom that can do anything. Not all moms can you know." (REALLY?? and that makes me...)
The shirt turned out perfectly. She bragged me up to her dad and can't wait to brag me up to her friends tomorrow at church. I'm so blessed with a daughter who believes in me enough to stretch me beyond my capabilities. Isn't that what I should be doing with her?? What a gift of a daughter I have!!
Back when she was preborn I had a doctor who told me I would be truely blessed by this child. He was right.
I need to remember this when she is having a 12 year old MOMENT! What a gift!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hehehe . . . I'm truly blessed to have a mom that can sew 'cuz I surely can't. I gave my sewing machine (yeah, what was I thinking buying one anyhow?) to Jen.

I'm proud of you for being such a good faker!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much! I think I got my sewing machine to make curtains... that was 14 years ago and I still would like to have some nice curtains. Can I borrow Aunt Anne??