Friday, July 21, 2006

Happy Birthday to me!!

Do you ever wonder how many crazy things can happen in one week?? I thought that after a rather zany beginning, the week would slow down. Yet again, I set myself up for disappointment.
Courtney started to feel ill on Weds.. She wasn't actually sick, just lethargic and achy.. the kind of sickness you almost like to see occasionsally on the wilder kids.. you know, for a break. Those of you who "have never felt that way" are lying!! She seemed to perk up again Thurs. and was thoroughly enjoying bossing around her siblings and being waited on hand and foot. When she asked if she could put on her princess dress, get her wand, and wanted to set up a throne so she could make Caitlyn her slave..... I got the inkling that perhaps she was on the mend.
We all went to VBS that night and everyone told Court how she was missed. She fairly glowed with all the love showered upon her. As we were about to go home I asked her if someone had beat her up a bit since under her eye and part of her neck were red and raised. That was a negative. Well, we have Benadryl and she had some when we got home. Let me just tell you that Courtney HATES Benadryl. Connnor will fake an itch to get some, but not my girl. She gagged it down and went to bed. Thankfully, we put he on my bed so we could keep an eye on her. As Dave was putting Justin down (yes, at 6 mos he still sleeps in a bassinet by the bed!) he noticed Courtney's face.. and who could miss it!!! Bright red with major rash... we have a pic if I can figure out how to add it on... one eye swelled almost shut. Her neck, shoulders and armpits looked like they were scalded and it was going down her back and chest. I gave her more of the Benadryl and then Dave thought that maybe she was allergic to it since she got so bad after the first dose. When she started with a whistling sound in her breath, I bundled her up for the hospital. Caitlyn wanted to come to and since I thought she could keep me awake in the way home, we 3 went to the ER at 11 pm.
The people at the hospital were concerned as the rash was still in full force when we arrived at 11:40. The waiting room was full and we bypassed them all... that was scary... they took blood and as we waited for the results Courtney commented on how nice it was that the signs kept changing. I saw the signs, they were not changing. They were just functional instructional type ER signs. That was a little more scary that my kid was hallucinating. Then the nursed decided she needed more of the B word. Courtney had taken that medicine at home and there was no way she was taking it again. The nurses tried cajoling, calling it princess potion, threating and trying to force it down her throat... nothing worked.
The bloodwork had come back not good, white cell count and platelet count very low and we decided to admit her. The ER nurses figured the pediatric nurses could deal with the Benadryl problem and rather happily sent her upstairs to the MEAN nurses who had no qualms about 3 of them trying to force it down her throat at once... Courtney spit it at the meanest of the three and I could see why she did it. Courtney did apologize later. Finally the nurse said "If you don't swallow this we will poke you with a needle and you will have to have a shot!!" I told her she was wasting our time and go get the shot ready. Courtney doesn't mind needles. At about 4:30 am we finally got some sleep.
She had more bloodwork done in the morning with not great results. The rash went down though finally. Oh yes, I almost forgot! The pediatrician, Dr. Swami, checked her in the morning and said it was not an allergy, don't bother with the Benadryl!! Like they couldn't have told us before. All that foolishness for nothing! They sent us home at 11:30 and we are going for more tests next week.
I just checked on the little sweetheart and her rash is getting all flared again... her face neck and ear are getting blotchy again.
I did get a nap today... and then was woken by a phone call from my sister in law Karen to wish me a happy birthday. Wow, forgot about that happening.. Dave suggested that todays birthday was a wash (since I got home for lunch, had a nap and got up to go to VBS tonight) and I could have an extra day of being 38 as we'll celebrate tomorrow. HELLO I just turned 38!!! Since we are the same age you'd think he'd get mine right. That's my day.
Then I saw Angela's blog.. I'd link you to it if I knew how!!... with a picture from my 12th birthday on it. That brought a smile as I remember that day. I loved that dress, on of the few I've really loved, and we went out to a Chinese Restaurant and tried to use chopsticks. We vowed they were utterly impossible to use and ate with forks. I love eating with chopsticks... who knew?
Well, I'd better wake up Dave and consult about Courtney. He took today off to be with the kids today!! .... and didn't complain before, during or after about being home or said anything negative about the kids... makes me remember why I married him... VBS closing was a blast. Jack did all the actions to the songs and made everyone smile.
While in hospital I saw a friend who I hadn't seen in at least 10 years, came in with her little guy. He got a stick stuck through the socket of his eye (I hear missed the eyeball) when he was roasting marshmallows. They aren't from the area and seeing them there was so surreal... I checked with Dici tonight and got the scoop from her. These little ones are so precious and fragile...
Gotta go get Dave. Pray for my Courtney and Dee Dee's Jacob.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Holy Camoley!! I should have read your BLOG before responding to your comment on mine.

Sorry to hear about Court. Did the doctors ever say what it was?

BTW, very weird about running into Dee Dee. I haven't seen her since before you went to University. How odd that she was in the F'ton emerg department when you were.

Unknown said...

Courtney seems fine... just tired. She also has a tendency to turn red!! I hear, though, that this is another way for toxins to leave the body... through the skin. If this is the case, she just underwent MAJOR detox!! We will do more bloodwork on Weds .. and wait and see.
I guess Dee Dee was camping up here with her family when the accident occurred. I listened to Focus on the Family that day and they talked about divine appts. I prayed for a divine appt and saw Dee Dee. I think I need to pray for her more. Maybe I should call her!