Saturday, March 17, 2007

BRF -- Mark 9-12

Have you ever tried to tell someone something that is important to you and they just aren't listening? This happened to me about a week ago. The first time I was interrupted, I figured she just didn't hear me. Since what I had to say was important I tried again. Again she looked everywhere but at me and changed the subject. The 3rd time I was quite bold... "Hey, are you listening to me? I have something to say here. ...." Again, blown off. I wasn't really thrilled, but figured she'd figure this out on her own. Someone else could tell her, or not I didn't care anymore.

How do you think Jesus felt. He had something weighing heavily on his mind. I'm finding it brought up purposefully to his disciples 4 times and then put in a parable for everyone. What did the disciples just not get?? Jesus was going to die, and then rise from the dead.

If my friend said that to me I'd be asking some questions? Did I hear that right? What can I do for you? Why is this happening? How do you know? Lots of good questions.

What do Jesus friends do? The first time Peter takes Him aside and rebukes Him for it.

The second time they didn't understand what He meant and were afraid to ask Him about it. Maybe because Jesus yelled at Peter the time before!! Maybe they didn't care enough.

Right after He told them the 3rd time, James and John asked Jesus for a favor they had no right to ask for. "Yeah, yeah, you're gonna' die. We get it. Can we sit beside you in Heaven?" These disciples are classy guys. Are they even listening??

Again He tries to tell them... Can you drink the cup I drink?? .... Even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.
Are they cluing in yet that He's going to die?

I think the teachers of the law and the elders got it in chapter 12. Jesus gives a parable of the tenants and how the tenants killed off all of the vineyard owners servants and then even killed his son. They knew Jesus spoke the parable against them. They knew they were plotting to kill him even then.

I know there was a lot in these 4 chapters to talk about. There is giving all we have whether its a lot or a pittance to follow Christ. There is the loving God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind and loving your neighbor as yourself. The importance of paying taxes and recognizing the authority of the government. How God hates divorce and remarriage after divorce is adultery. How Jesus loves children and we had better watch to make sure we aren't causing any to stumble (a message for mom's as we have what it takes to crush or encourage our children's spirits). Not to mention squabbling over who is better than who and what Jesus thinks of that.

I was mostly impressed though on our denseness as followers of Christ. Not to be mean, but do we pay attention enough to the words of our Lord? Is His message resonating within us or do we brush it off, argue with Christ, nod and agree without having a clue what He really is saying or just rush through what He says (Bible reading) so we can say what we have to say (prayer).
I have to say most of the time I'm like the disciples. I rush through my reading and then feel I can say what I have to say without even cluing in that this is GOD talking to me. Instead of listening to His voice properly I'm waiting for the lull in the conversation so I can put in my 2 cents worth. I'm an idiot. Look at all the valuable learning time I have callously tossed away.

It took a good friend (usually) being a rather poor friend (one day) and not paying one bit of attention to what I had to say at all to help me see me in this passage. I'm not one bit happy with myself.

I love the verse "Be still and know that I am God"

Maybe because I have a hard time being still this verse has seemed so beautiful and other worldly. I need to be still more. I think for awhile its OK to even pray less fervently and just listen. He knows my heart and needs. I don't mean quit praying altogether ... like I could if I tried!! Just relax and let His words sink in. Reading the same passage over and over is helping though.

On to chapters 13-16!!

1 comment:

Home Sweet Home said...

Great review Martha, Many of the points you made were what I was thinking, we are so dense sometimes, we just don't get the message. A good verse for advice to follow is "Be still and know that I am God", thanks for the reminder. I have a hard time to just be still. My mind is always busy thinking about the next thing to do. have a great day:)