Saturday, August 05, 2006

One screen porch... ready for summer

Yes, today we tackled the screen porch. Armed with a huge roll of screening, measuring tape, chalk and scissors, I confidently (ha ha) cut out our new screens for the porch and Dave knocked 'em up. You might have thought this would have been a great spring project so we could enjoy the porch ALL summer. But we felt that after the hottest weather was over would be a great time. Timing is everything. It actually looks rather spectacular. We only had to change 5 of the screens. The others only had to be fixed. All in all, it took us about an hour to do the deed.

On the other hand, we needed the time to deal with some unruly kids. While we all worked our tails off this morning doing chores everyone was happy. As soon as they were allowed to go play the ISSUES started. Do they WONDER why I want them to work all the time?? When we played as kids, that was our fun time. Lately, throw in an extra neighborhood kid and we have WW3. I'm ready for the neighbors to go back to school... in a nice way. How are we to juggle befriending these kids, witnessing to them and trying to save our own kids?? The kids around here are just running with no one to be accountable to. I think they like to play here because the Mom is here with house rules.. which they have to abide by... and seem to enjoy doing so. Unfortunately, my kids think it would be great to be able to just do whatever they want, when they want 24/7. They don't see the lonely kids behind the freedom facade that would love to see a parent.... who need Christ.

I think I need to pray more for my kids and the neighbors. We can't witness if we alienate them, yet they are pulling at my kids. At least my kids are home so we can talk about it. I think the boys are having a hard time. They aren't sure how to articulate what they feel and I don't want to put words in their mouths. I'd better go pray.

G'night

2 comments:

Angela said...

Marf, I'm so proud of you! Keep up the good work with your brood. We'll keep praying for you here with the hopes that some of your neighbours will REEEEEEEPENT! :)

Unknown said...

There was an extra kid here today. Wish you could have seen him. Strawberry blond hair, John Lennon glasses, black scary T-shirt... the cool guy.. playing soccer baseball with the gang. He wasn't going to, but I don't bring out snacks until everyone works up an appetite. Mom was here and pitched for awhile and this kid had fun!! I hope he comes back. He's teaching the kids bike tricks. My front yard will NEVER be the same, and s'ok. We like that they like it here.