Saturday, January 20, 2007

Let it snow and snow and snow some more!!

Wow!! Just when we thought we were safe... Winter hit with a vengeance!! Has it ever been this cold before?? I'm sure it has sometime, but not for awhile! Yesterday Dave didn't even go to work it snowed so hard. The plow was called, kids were outside playing their little hearts out... And then we realized... The boys did not have the proper gear for winter. Matthew didn't even have a heavy winter coat let alone ski pants. Connor's coat was a little small and he was wearing purple ski pants. Ok, he likes purple, but c'mon!!! We live in Canada, how could our kids be so not ready for winter?
Then I got the call...
"Hi Martha, its Wes calling. Diane is working at Sears today and says to get in there!! All the kids snowsuits are half off the lowest ticketed price AND she has a coupon for a further $20 off for you."
How fast could we get into Sears? Scarily not that fast as I was still in my jammies and robe and had bedhead at 11:30 am. I was talking on the phone at that time and my friend whose name will not be mentioned completely (G--n McQ----ie) was as dressed as I was! We did manage to get into Sears 20 min before Diane was off shift and was able to get Matt, Connor and Jack all really nice jackets and skipants. Jack's even included a hat and scarf. Matt's suit was originally $109 before taxes. We got all 3 suits for $102 after taxes. They will all fit next year too. Hopefully Matt will be able to pass his down to Connor.
Moral of this rather long winded saga?? God provided what we needed, when we needed it, in a really nice way without us having to go nutso worrying about it. We haven't had any snow until now so we didn't need these items before. Today was even too cold to go out to play. Tomorrow is the first really good snow day and those kids will be ready for it.
It really helped to remind us of God's provision for us one day after hearing we will have to wait another 3 months to find out if Dave gets a really amazing job!! We were pretty sure it was a sure thing, but then were told it was on hold until April. I hate waiting. I'm the kind of person who would rather be told and out and out NO than to be told to wait. God gives me many, many chances to improve my attitude about waiting, and this one is a real stinker. But y'know, I'm almost enjoying the wait. Notice I said almost. Its a challange of whether I can win over the old nature of impatience and be excited about living the life God has given us NOW.
Now, I have curtains to sew, kids closets and dressers to clean through, linen closet to sort through, babies to feed and clean up after, children to train, a husband to take care of!, quiet times to have, Bible characters to know better, rooms to rearrange, budgets to make and stick too, books to read, Bible studies to do, lots of math to correct, a gazillion doctors appts to get to... and so on and so on...
I think God has given me enough to keep me busy for NOW that waiting for what might never come should be a cinch!
I'm reading Anne Ortlund's trilogy "Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman", "Disciplines of the Heart", and "Disciplines of the Home". If there were ever an encouraging book (or set of books) on living a beautiful, feminine, gentle life... this is it. I am inspired to grab hold of the reins of this house and really make a difference in it. There are even study guides in this thing. I would love to actually do this as a group study with some like minded women. Thanks to Joy for giving me this book!!!
This was rambly! I feel rambly tonight. I am so thankful there are no rules for blogging. I can ramble all I please!!

2 comments:

Seven said...

I enjoy your ramblings, and the more I read, the more I think we may be kindred spirits.

We are rarely prepared for winter because I am a procrastinator. With the mild start to this winter, I just kept putting off sorting through the winter stuff. I'm so thankful for Frenchy's!

Your snowsuit story reminded me of some neat ways God has provided for us. It's a reminder I needed today!

Is your incompletely named friend G__n married to a D__n_s? Please say hello to her for me.

Anne Ortlund's Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman is one of the first books that comes to mind when I think of "life-changing reads". I first read it many years ago as a young wife. I bought the trilogy on e-bay a couple of years ago, and I think I'm due for another time through.

I hope you know that anyone can take part in Shannon's book review Friday. It's not a club and you don't have to formally join. She would be so excited to have someone new take part!

So now my comment is rambly. I need to go get this crew ready for church!

Unknown said...

Yes, that would be them. We traveled through much snowia to spend the evening with them Saturday. We were about half way there when we realized this was perhaps not the best day to visit. Ever see a rainbow, 2 actually, in January? What a weird day. We had a blast though and got there and back safely. Jack (almost 3) is sitting on my knee kissing my hands as I type. I love being a Mom!!